Thursday 20 June 2013

If You Judge a Fish



In My Own Way
Written in class one day, after teacher yelled at me,
but I don’t remember why.

April 2013
I am sorry
for everything.
For bad tests,
forgotten things
for long-borrowed pencils,
for homework
disorganization
and all my other faults and mistakes.

I am not worthy of forgiveness.
I only hope you will,
when I ask it so nicely
with this poem.
You may forgive and you may not.

I only hope I’m good enough
for you to be a little bit kinder
and a little bit soft,
to like me
like you like cows;
to trust in me your faith
so I may blossom as a friend,
an equal
and not be forgotten. 

A friend, a teacher
and so many things
I hope you will be
to me
after reading this poem
and understanding that I try my best,
I really do.  

I try to be like you
but language arts and social studies
are not where I stand.
I stand in math and science.
I try to please you,
but I can’t. 

It really is hard being me;
not like other girls
with their writing so neat.
I try, I do, but my writing never meets
with my fleet of ideas
and my day dreamy ways.
I know you do not understand them.

I am a person with creativity
and skill,
who needs time to let her creativity drill.
I love to write like this,
but never do.
I love creative projects
where I can do big things,
where I shine
in my own way.

1 comment:

  1. I shared this poem with my daughter just this week. It really touched the both of us, I think it is a piece that could be useful for everyone to red.

    ReplyDelete