Thursday 16 May 2013

Community Resources For Supporting Newcomers to Guelph and Wellington County

Wellington County Settlement Services
www.wellington.ca
926 Paisley Road, Units 4 and 5
Services and supports include:
  • assistance with finding and completing forms, 
  • advice on banking, shopping
  • interpreters and translators
  • counseling
  • assessing professional and essential services
  • enrolling children in school
Immigrant Services Guelph Wellington (ISGW) 
www.is-gw.ca
Offers a range of free programs and workshops
Citizenship and Immigration Canada

2 comments:

  1. Five years ago, I was a newcomer to Ontario and Canada. Despite being a fluent English speaker, processes for doing things (like getting OHIP coverage and where your kids can go to school) were quite different here to the UK. As my husband is Canadian and he was moving to a job with the University, I generally did not feel isolated or unsupported. I cannot begin to imagine what it would be like to move to Canada, not know the language and be very unfamiliar with the supports and services available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ladies again, I have to agree on this one. I once had a very difficult time understanding how people could come to Canada and expect these benefits. Now that I have had more education on this and have meet and heard some stories, I can better understand where they are coming from. One of my daughters best friends was in this situation with her family and her mother is now a English teacher for immigrants. I see things hands on and now I know the different and why.

    ReplyDelete